Saturday, August 20, 2011

Roadkill Has the Runs

Lately as I've been running in the afternoons, with fairly low humidity (25% to 35%) and a heat index well into the 100s, I sometimes think of Dune (despite the plants, which, while often fairly bleached out, are still there). So when I have to spit, I aim for leaves; water's kind of precious around here at the moment.

Running that time of day, my times aren't the best, but I get the most workout for the time invested. Nevermind that I really enjoy it (except when it's hot and humid).

I try to run all year round, so I build up to the heat in the summer and cold in the winter. (I cheat; I have a wind suit for when it gets below 60, but hey, I'm not 20 any more, even though I feel like it most days.)

I can run on a treadmill if I have to (say, if it's cold, rainy, and everyone around me has a cold), but I'd rather not.

The trails call me. The weather calls me. The sky calls me. The plants call me. The cicadas and crickets call me, the birds and lizards call me, the runners and bikers call me. The fire hydrant in the woods calls me. (No, not to pee!)

My current shoes are the first real running shoes I've ever owned. I have no idea how many miles I have put on them (the records from when I first started trying to get back in shape a few years ago were lost), but I'm guessing it's between 500 and 1,000. Not what a serious runner would put on, but I'm happy being me, and running 1-2 miles 2-3x a week with the occasional 5K thrown in is about right for my body.

I inspected my shoes a week or so ago because the left one felt funny. I couldn't find anything at the time, but yesterday part of one heel started to come loose; it's time for some new ones. When I bought these, I was a bit skeptical, but they've held up really well, and my feet and legs have been happier than they ever were in the past when I tried to run. Dr. School's, and later Ironman, pads have helped as well.

So has prayer. My shin splints are gone. I had given up hope on losing those years ago. Silly Miles. As a wise man once said, "Never surrender! Never give up!"

While some of my friends seem to feel as if we're in Narnia under the grip of the White Witch's hot[1], evil twin ("It's always summer, and never Labor Day"), I'm content with this endless summer. Today's an off day, so no running. But it's a good day for an upper body workout, so I think I'll grab a breaker bar and pick and go bust some rocks.


[1] Take that however you like. Only a fool falls for an evil witch. Just ask Edmund.

3 comments:

roadkills-r-us said...

I did, indeed, bust rocks in the afternoon sun, using a pick and breaker bar. I not only sweated, but bled (flying rock chips act just like shrapnel).
I love my life. It doesn't look anything like I ever expected it to, but it's a really, really good one.

Michael said...

go barefoot

roadkills-r-us said...

You know I do as much as I can get away with! But not right now on this trail. Lots of rocks and stumps and stuff.