Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Facebook Bites Users Yet Again

Well, Facebook, you've done it again.

With every major face lift, you annoy more users. The comments on my wall (and I have a broad cross-section of friends) are always at least 10:1 against the changes. (This time they are at least 30:1, and people are more upset than I have seen before.) About the time everyone finally adapts, finally gets used to them (not likes them), you change it AGAIN. For the worse.

Over and over, claiming to give us more control and what we want, you give us LESS control, and take away the features that made Facebook first wonderful, then pretty cool, eventually down to bearable. I suppose next you will take away the features that make your product merely annoying.

Quite a few of us only want to see statuses most of the time. With each of the last iterations you made that more difficult, and now you have removed it entirely. Has it occurred to you that with more than a couple of hundred friends, it becomes impossible to keep up with everything? Most of my friends have from 500 to 1500 friends. It's almost impossible for someone with a life and job to keep up with even the statuses, never mind the links, photos, videos, games, apps, and whatever you decide comes next.

If you want to provide an OPTION to create new groups for me, fine. But just let me know it's there and decide whether I want to opt in.

If you want to provide an OPTION to run constant updates that eat my CPU and mean my screen never stops updating, fine. Let me know it's there and decide whether I want to opt in.

For that matter, when you provide options (like yesterday, when I could choose to see statuses only, LEAVE THEM WHERE I SET THEM. Don't reset them every time I turn around.

We get it. We are not your customers. We are the product you sell to your customers. But as it turns out, you are turning your "product" off more and more each day. I know people who have left Facebook because of past changes. I am actively looking for an alternative. I am really hoping google+ works out, because I will be GONE. And I will take everyone with me I can.

People were never meant to be products

3 comments:

Randy Kirchhof said...

Hear, hear.

Peggy said...

Miles, why don't you build a simple interface? And tell all your friends you did it - I know people would follow you over to it.

MsOrganist said...

What Randy and Peggy said!