Thursday, February 02, 2012

There is an "I" in "Team".

As a rule, I abhor slogans. One of the reasons for this is that (at least in the USA) they tend to become trite, extreme, rigid, absurd, or some combination of these.

A perfect example is the well known phrase


   There is no "I" in "team".

From a spelling standpoint, it's difficult to dispute and still have a listener's respect. ('The "i" is both invisible and silent.' "Ha ha!' 'No, really.' '...')

The basic concept, of course, is that if you are putting yourself first, focusing on you ("me" or "I" from your standpoint) then you aren't really being a part of the team. But taken to the extreme (Go, Team Extreme! USA! USA!) we end up with an army of clones such as we saw in Star Wars III.

A team is composed of individuals. While there are times each team member has to put self-focus aside, to ignore the individual is both foolish and dangerous. While it's a lot easier to manage clones, in the end it destroys people and requires a lot more work on the leader's part because team members have lost the ability to think for themselves.

A team should be more than the sum of its members, but this is only true if each of the members knows who they are and is free to find their role, express themselves, and bring their gifts and passions into play. Otherwise it's just a bunch of people trying to muddle through. Those sorts of "teams" are usually far less then the sum of their members.

This is true of any sort of team-- a team at work, a sports team, a military unit, church, family, government, you name it.

A great team isn't all about the "I", but it is all about the "I"s.

4 comments:

Sally Hanan/Inksnatcher said...

If you look really really closely, you can see the I. It's right underneath the - part of the T.

Sally Hanan/Inksnatcher said...

You should download commentluv. It's a free plugin that lets everyone can see a commenter's latest blog post.

roadkills-r-us said...

'Once when someone said to me that 'there's no "I" in "Team"', I've pointed out that there is a "me".

'Then they changed the subject and pointed out a few other things which I won't repeat here.'

-Seth Meyer via facebook (used by permission)

roadkills-r-us said...

Sally, commentluv looks to be for Wordpress, not Blogspot. But thanks.