Saturday, January 17, 2015

Made in Japan in 1972 (in Texas (Today))

I'm not usually a music critic (though I played one in college for the Georgia Tech "Technique"). I would much rather find something I like and simply listen to it and ignore what I don't like. But every once in a while circumstances lead me to listen critically. Today you are blessed or cursed (depending on your viewpoint) with the results of such a confluence of events. (I have now met my quota of big words for this blog.)

Deep Purple's Made in Japan was released in the US a year after Machine Head provided them a breakthrough hit with the much played and much maligned "Smoke on the Water". By all accounts at the time the band was appalled that this song was their biggest hit. I always attributed Blackmore's less than stellar treatment of it on Made in Japan to this. Some sources now insist that Ritchie defended the song. I just know the guitar on this live version doesn't inspire me the way the album version does, and there are places he's much sloppier than anywhere else on this record. That said, I still love this version.

There are a couple of other things that keep this from being the perfect live album. The drum solo in "The Mule" goes on way too long. Gillan's vocals are a bit off in places on "Space Trucking" but the sheer energy helps make up for that.

Speaking of "Space Trucking" it's the longest song on an album drenched in ten minute songs, clocking in at just under twenty minutes, wandering between the roots of speed metal, thrash, and ... cello? I don't know how Blackmore got the cello sound, but it's brilliant.

I do have two more complaints. They're rather modern and absurd, but here they are:

  • It should be longer (it was already a fairly long, double album).
  • I really wish for video (apparently there isn't any).
As usual these guys play together as a phenomenal band, not just a bunch of great musicians. There are only a handful of bands I really kick myself for not seeing back in the day. These guys are at the top of the list for me, even ahead of Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, and the Rolling Stones.

I don't know that I could pick a favorite track here. I suppose "Child in Time" and "Lazy" might have a slight edge. I do know this is one of my top ten live album picks. I can't narrow it down much more than that because I really suck at lists. It's right up there near Blue Oyster Cult's On Your Feet or On Your Knees and the Allman Brothers' Live at Fillmore East. That means it's in my top twenty album picks overall (probably still in the top ten as I tend to favor live albums).

What is/are one/some of your favorite live albums, and why?

No comments: