Thursday, November 03, 2011

Djembe Fever Dreams

All my life I wished I could play drums. Several times drummer friends decided to teach me, and almost immediately gave up, telling me to stick to guitar (which I did, and do, love playing). I enjoyed tapping out rhythms on desks and tables with my hands, and thought I was pretty good. I tried bongos and congas a few times over the years, but I was very tentative, and when it didn't just work, I gave up. Again, what little feedback I got was negative. People even hushed me when I tapped on tables. Clearly I couldn't drum, and never would.

Well past the age people normally take up new instruments, I visited a church-related small group (called KISS) in Pam Rose's house in San Marcos. When I walked in the door, two people were playing guitar, several were playing various drums. Fifteen or so people were singing (or whistling!) At some point pretty early I started tapping on the trunk Pam uses for a coffee table. After a minute or two, someone handed me a drum. It was a wild night with intense drumming-- for a while the drums lead the worship. I played that drum between my knees, in my lap, against my chest, over my face, all sorts of ways. Worship was off the charts. I think all we did was worship for about two hours. My hands and arms were sore. It was awesome.

The KISS team gave me freedom and encouragement-- especially Pam and Desiree Rose, Jo Anderson, and Ashley Wellman.

I went to Kiss about twice a month for nearly a year, and played a drum at least half those times. That's the extent of my drumming education and learning to play percussion for worship. (Well, that and listening to the beat for thousands and thousands of hours of music, and beating on tables, desks, whatever was handy. Actually playing a drum is different, though; it hits back, as it were.)

As a result of what I got at KISS, I played percussion in some capacity for 8 or 10 worship services in Albania (djembe, egg and wall-- yes, a wall). I played congas at AHOP in Austin with the band, Patterson. I find myself playing djembe with the worship team for our congregation (True Life Fellowship in Round Rock).

This is just one of the many huge blessings these four ladies have been in my life, but I wanted to point out just one of the differences they have made, not just in me, but for everyone that has impacted. They have no idea how excited True Life is to have drums again. Albania was a Big Deal. And they are very, very responsible. So, ladies, thank you ever so much for being you and loving me, letting me be me, even encouraging that.


When I first told Ashley all this, her response was, "I never suspected you weren't a drum player before you came to KISS!!!! Seriously, you've got rhythm, and I'm just so excited that God made one of your dreams come true!!!"

Wow. Me, too!

All of us have the power to encourage or discourage. I'm not down on anyone. I am, however, greatly appreciative of the people who love and encourage me. I encourage you to look for the gold in people, and help them mine it to become all God made them to be. Encourage those around you. The word "encourage" means "to inspire with courage, spirit, or confidence". Give those around you the courage to be themselves, to chase their dreams.

And don't give up on your dreams!. Go for it, even if people aren't encouraging you, even if they are discouraging you. Encourage yourself. Be brave. Just do it. Don't worry what people think. Do your best. Have fun with it. There may be a handful of people in all of history who looked back on their lives and wished they hadn't chased their dreams; I assure you there are many, many more who look back and wish they had.

Whether it's playing percussion, rescuing orphans, or building an auto racing empire, be one of the people who looks back and says, "Wow! I did it! What a great ride! Now what do I want to do?"

3 comments:

Peggy said...

Like!

Neil Ellis Orts said...

Timely.

I'll just leave it at that. :)

roadkills-r-us said...

Peggy, thanks!
Neil, I knew it was for some people; I just had no idea who. Until I saw you had commented, then I knew you were one before I even read it. 8^)