Sunday, October 30, 2011

Evil-o-ween? Whatever.

At least twice this week someone's Facebook status has raised the spectre of the true origins of the day we call Hall-o-ween, and whether human sacrifice was involved. Here are my thoughts.

I've heard about Hall-o-week starting out as a pagan holiday with human sacrifices, as well as the evil origins of trick or treat, for years. I've heard all sorts of other stuff, with various levels of contradiction. I don't know who to believe, and I frankly don't care. (Gasp!)

I don't care, in terms of what happens today, what it meant to people thousands of years ago. I don't care about the origins of trick or treat. I don't care about the origins of costumes.

I have to admit, I wouldn't mind knowing, because I like knowing things. I like understanding.. But (a) I don't really trust most people writing for the public to really know and be honest, because it's so polarized and (b) it wouldn't impact my view of it today. I expect that somewhere there's historically accurate, unbiased research or records. But that's not what gets bandied about.

I quit worrying about whether the rapture will occur as described in Revelation, and whether it's pre, mid, post, or trans-trib. I get to be with God forever and that's good enough! I quit worrying whether "once saved always saved" is correct. What matters is, "Are you right with God? If so, yay! If not, why not! Get right!" If I don't worry about these "weighty, theological matters", the "true history" behind knocking on doors in a costume asking for a treat isn't going to make me break a sweat.

"But Miles! It's a threat! Give us a treat or we'll play a dirty trick!" Um, no. Sorry. Again, regardless of the origins, this isn't what most people are out doing. You could make a much better case against it based on fostering an entitlement mentality, but that doesn't seem to be most peoples' issue with it.

Just as going to Church doesn't make one a Christian, dressing up and going door to door asking for treats, or handing out treats at your house, doesn't make one a Druid, Satanist, or backslider. Even assuming Anton Lavey was correct in calling Hall'o'ween was the high, unholy day of the year for Satanists. (I'm sure it was for his branch, since he declared himself "high priest.)

Then there's the idea that there are still all sorts of human sacrifices by Satanists today. I don't buy it. And I say that as someone who was, for a while, a Satanist. The devil's biggest weapons are lies, fear and confusion. He's a loser., and we too often credit him with far more power than he has-- thus giving him the power we fear. My God is infinitely bigger than this pathetic, would-be usurper. Would he love to have lots of human sacrifices? Sure. But-- at least in the USA-- I don't know of any real evidence of this.

Let me clarify. There are plenty of human sacrifices. But they're not made directly to Satan, and if they occur on October 31 at night, it's only because that's when they happened to happen. These sacrifices are to subtler, everyday gods such as Greed, Power, and Hatred. You can find these human sacrifices everywhere-- on the MX/US border, in the inner city, in houses of prostitution, in semi trailers with corpses in the desert, on the battlefield,and in children crying, terrified someone they once trusted will come into their bedroom again. These bother me infinitely more than questions around Hall-o-ween.

If they bother you, don't celebrate it! Turn off your porch light. Go to a church having a Reformation Day or All Saints Eve service. Sacrifice a pumpkin and bake a pie or three. Fill up your tub with hot water, get the beverage of your choice, and read a book.

Or, leave the light on, give out treats, along with words from God and offer prayer. You never know. God can use anything, even modernized, costumed, possible pagan holidays for His good, and the good of those who love Him, and the good of those who need to know His love.

Whatever works for you is fine by me. But don't expect me to get too worked up over it; I'd rather take Jesus's approach, and just love on people.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!

Traci Vanderbush said...

Totally with you on it all...even the rapture subject. I'm not a pre-tribber, mid- tribber or post-tribber. I just know He is coming and will always be with us. On the human sacrifice subject, I know it does happen...even so, you made a good point about the evils that happen on a daily basis that we seem to ignore.

roadkills-r-us said...

I know it happens as well, and I hate that (obviously!) but I don't think it happens nearly as often as some people want us to believe, And if it weren't that day, it'd happen some other day. Lord, deliver us from evil!

Anonymous said...

Thank You for being a free thinker and saying what so many Christians want to say, but are chicken.