Monday, March 18, 2013

Late night return trip musings

I just dropped Kayla and Lauren off after a late dinner and coffee shop road trip. It's 1:30AM, 70 degrees Fahrenheit, with lots of "Watch for ice on bridge" signs. At this end of Ronald Reagan Parkway there is no light pollution at all. On a long series of gradual hills, my headlights probe the darkness, finding nothing where the road seems to fall off into space. There is nothing obviously to either side, either, only darkness. Black Sabbath's "Into the Void" would be the perfect soundtrack.

I'm hyper-caffeinated and tired, so every second of nothing stretches out into forever. The road goes ever on. I may be home in twenty minutes; I may be tumbling through the void. In the latter case, I'll enjoy it til the caffeine wears off or the air runs out. All of these lead to sleep, which is all I want right this minute.

"Watch for ice on bridge". Maybe the signs have had too much caffeine; they're clearly hallucinating.

No comments: