Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Writing 101 - Tools of the Trade

When I started writing, I tended to write. You know, literally. The old-fashioned way, on paper with a pen or pencil. Occasionally with a crayon.

Eventually I transitioned much of that to computers, either locally or on the net as it became available. When I got serious about writing I started carrying a journal or notebook everywhere. Pen and paper again ruled. As I started transcribing some of these stories onto my home desktop computer, I found myself writing there again as well.

I began to notice I tended to write differently based on the tool I was using. This hit me like a newly hatched face hugger from the Alien movies when I wanted to write my novel. The ideas were flowing like a dam had busted, but I couldn't write them down-- not on paper, not on the desktop.

On a whim I decided to try writing on the new Apple Macbook Air they had given me at work (personal use is Allowed). Almost 2,000 words flowed out in a couple of hours. That's a chapter. This happened again the next night. And the next. I wrote over 75,000 words in a month-- all in my spare time amidst a very busy schedule. Nearly all of it was on the laptop. I'd never been able to do that before!

The style was different. Not horribly, but subtly. I think it was perfect for the book. But it wasn't like anything I had written before. Why?

Why, why, why?

A few days after I started pondering this, I was rummaging through art supplies-- crayons, pens, pencils, markers, and brushes. And it hit me. Visual artists use different media for different things. It might vary by mood, or subject, or style, or anything else, but some artists find they can only do certain work, or perhaps their best work, with certain media.

It's true with music, as well. I can pick up my acoustic, my G&L Tribute, my ancient Hagstrom 1, or my Flying V, and likely as not start playing certain styles based on the guitar. Sometimes I even pick the guitar based on what I want to play.

Why should writing be any different? Or any other artistic endeavor?

So, are you an an artist? Try another medium! Swap a paintbrush for a sprayer, a Strat for a Tele, a guitar for a bass, a clarinet for a drum, pencils for markers.

It can help with writer's block (or other artistic equivalents). In fact, that's what happened with the book.

All that said, I'm glad this flowed onto my desktop keyboard. I guess I could have scanned a bunch of PostIt[tm] notes and used the image as the blog, just this once.

Wait. Now I have to try that! Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very insightful Miles! I never thought about that before but it makes sense. It felt odd initially making the switch from pen and paper to laptop.....but now I love it! I still do my brainstorming on paper though.

roadkills-r-us said...

There are still things that want pen and paper for me, as well. Most outlines, some forms of notes, and various and sundry short stories spring to mind.

Unknown said...

I love the idea and the concept! I do this to some extent in my sewing. A different fabric or garment style for each machine and there are three of them to use!

roadkills-r-us said...

That's awesome, Erin! I'm assuming it translate into all creative spaces, but hadn't thought about how it might with sewing.